Instead of: Milk
Try: Fortified soy beverage (same protein content); almond, rice, hemp or oat milk (lower in protein)
Instead of: Nut butter
Try: Seed butter, pea butter or soy nut butter
Instead of: Nuts
Try: Soy nuts, roasted peas or chickpeas, pumpkin or sunflower seeds
Instead of: Cheese
Try: Soy cheese, rice milk cheese
Instead of: Yogurt
Try: Soy yogurt
Instead of: Parmesan
Try: Nutritional yeast
Instead of: Gluten-containing grains (wheat, rye, barley)
Try: Brown rice, quinoa, corn tortillas, millet, rice noodles, buckwheat, amaranth, sorghum
Instead of: Gluten-containing oats
Try: Pure uncontaminated oats
Firm Tofu! It can be purchased at most local grocery stores: Safeway, T&;T, Saveonfoods.
Silken Firm Tofu! Its sold at most grocery stores: No Frills, IGA, T&T, Safeway, etc 🙂
(makes 2 servings)
- 1 block of silken or firm tofu
- 2-3 teaspoons of soy sauce
- Traditional toppings include: chopped scallions, grated ginger, bonito flakes, shredded shiso leaves, chopped green onion, a little chili, crushed peanuts, toasted sesame oil and seeds, the possibilities are endless.
1. Drain the water from the tofu package
2. Cut the tofu block in half and half again to make little cubes.
3. Put each serving in a small bowl and drizzle with 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons of soy sauce, or to taste.
4. Pile on the toppings of your choice. Serve immediately while its still cold!
Sources & Contributions:
A Chen FIT
thekitchn blog: http://www.thekitchn.com/hiyayakko-japanese-cold-tofu-150547
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 2 Avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into wedges
- 8 Strawberries, halved
Optional: Add pecans, almonds, cashews for a little crunchy protein!
- Whisk lemon juice, honey, olive oil,salt and pepper together to make the Vinaigrette.
- Arrange the avocados and strawberries on 6 salad plates.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the fruit salad. Serve immediately.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Slice avocado in half, and take out the pit. Scoop out about two tablespoons of flesh from the center of the avocado, just enough so the egg will fit snugly in the center.
Place the avocados in a small baking dish. Do your best to make sure they fit tightly.
Crack an egg into each avocado half.
Place in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the size of your eggs and avocados. Just make sure the egg whites have enough time to cook.
- Remove from oven, then season with pepper, salt, chives, and garnish of your choice.
- Pasta for one (look at pasta package for serving info and cooking instructions)
- 2 Big handfuls of spinach leaves (pre-packaged spinach leaves are great too)
- 1 Teaspoon of butter
- 1 Teaspoon of chopped garlic
Optional: parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper
1) Cook pasta according to package instructions.
2) Meanwhile, wash spinach leaves. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add spinach to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes and then remove and cool.
3) Place cooked pasta into pan on low heat.
3) Add butter, garlic, and spinach and mix with pasta till butter is melted.
- tomato sauce
Optional: Toppings you love: ham, pineapple pieces, pepperoni, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc.
1. Spread tomato sauce on the entire tortilla.
2. Sprinkle cheese and your other favorite toppings onto tortilla.
3. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, depending on your microwave. (hint: once the cheese is melted, its done!)
4. Let cool, and then roll the tortilla up and eat.
- 1 corn on the cob (remove all the husk and rinse the corn)
1. Wet a paper towel and wring it out.
2. Wrap the moist paper towel around the corn and place on a dinner plate.
3. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes.
4. Carefully remove paper towel (HOTTTT)
- 1 slice of bread (whole wheat, rye, multi-grain, pita and tortillas)
- 1/3 – 1/2 Ripe Avocado
- Pinch of Salt
Optional: Drizzle of olive oil, or sprinkle of black pepper.
1. Toast bread on both sides.
2. Smash on avocado with a fork.
3. Top with salt.
Things to Avoid:
White breads: often lack the healthy vitamins and minerals that your body needs.
- 1/3 cup Oats
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 Banana
Optional: Granola, nuts, and fresh berries
1. Mash banana and blueberries together in a bowl until blended. Stir in oats, yogurt and milk.
2. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. In the morning, top with granola, fresh berries, nuts, bananas, etc.